Teachers are livid over a circular sent out by the Department of Basic Education which states that learners in Grade 7, 8 or 9 who did not achieve 40%...
Teachers are livid over a circular sent out by the Department of Basic Education which states that learners in Grade 7, 8 or 9 who did not achieve 40% in maths, should have their maths marks “condoned” (accepted) if they achieve 20% or above.
They said all it meant was that these learners will be promoted to the next grade, even though they would have normally failed maths and had to repeat their current grade.
Grade 9 learners who pass this way will be not be allowed to take maths in grade 10; they must instead do maths literacy.
“We are setting these children up for failure,” said a primary school teacher, who spoke on condition of anonymity,
The teacher added: “Now we are sending children to the next grade, who didn’t fully grasp the grade they were coming from.”
“Some of these children will drop out because they cannot cope with the pressure. It is not nice for a child to fail, but at least they get to grasp what they need before getting to the next grade. They will be condoned till grade 9, then, they will be stuck in grade 10 when they can no longer get condoned”.
Also interviewed were two high school principals.
One said, “It would be better if the department would provide people to help these kids and to work hand in hand with them.”
Another said that the instruction would only cause learners to struggle even more in the next grade.
Even though he didn’t agree with the instruction, because it came from the department, he would have to comply.
He said he was also worried that learners would be happy with being promoted to the next grade because to them this would mean that they passed, when in actual fact, they did not.
Both principals felt that the circular came very late and they were already done with determining who passed. They said they heard about the issue only on Monday, December 5, and found it confusing.
A DBE statement stated that the circular had been issued urgently after reports from across the country of poor results because of the compulsory requirement of learners to achieve 40% in maths.
The DBE stated that the circular “should only be considered as an interim measure for 2016”.
Spokesperson for the Western Cape Education Department Millicent Merton said it was “regrettable” that the DBE’s decision was “communicated at such a late stage in the school year”.
She said the department would engage with the DBE “on the timing of such decisions”.
Equal Education Deputy General Secretary Ntuthuzo Ndzomo said: “The question should be, what is making it difficult for these children to obtain the 40% mark, instead of taking a quick solution which might not help in the long term.
Western Cape education MEC Debbie Schaffer issued a scathing statement questioning the rationale for condoning a maths failure in Grades 7 and 8, especially at 20%.
“At least in Grade 9 the learner has the option to take Maths Literacy until matric. In grades 7 and 8, they will be permitted to progress to Grades 8 and 9, where they will still have to take Mathematics as a subject until the end of Grade 9. How can a learner who achieves 20% be expected to pass Maths the following year or two?” questioned Schaffer.
“What we need is high-impact interventions to train teachers and bring the best possible resources to our learners. In the Western Cape, we are trying to do this with our e-learning programme, which can assist teachers and learners. – GroudUp.